Scenic Route

Monday, October 11, 2004

Intro:

The day was long and dull. Irene, sprawled in somber fashion, let her spindle-thin arm drape over the edge of the hammock. The back of her fingers rolled across the gritty, dry soil. The chores had been completed, they being few and simple to complete; there was nothing left to do that sweltering summer day other than let your mind wander adrift while coddling the precious shade that flickered when the wind shook the leaves. Irene's eyes fell to the ground, a dusty index finger driven to frustrate an idle daddy long-legged spider as it tried to evade her. But Irene was diligent and refused to give it leave to wander at will. Even as the sound of little feet running through the powder-soft dirt pattered into her ears she didn't lift her gaze. It was a lazy day, and at the sound of the little feet Irene knew for certain it wouldn't be someone who warranted her attention.

Two shoes came into her line of sight. They were white and hot pink, yellowed with age. There were crinkles near the toe accented with dirt. They pointed in her direction and had come to a preemptive pause, but Irene failed to look head on with the owner of such a pair. Abruptly, the girl squatted and her dark hair shimmied across her face. She briskly tucked the thin delinquents behind her ear as bright eyes stared precariously at the daddy long-legs floundering in the soil. Without hesitation, thick fingers scooped the spider up along with some surrounding earth. Not a word was exchanged until the girl administered Irene with a steady stare. Her fair face was flushed and her impish lip ghoulishly straight.

"You ain't done yet."


I've had quite a few ideas rolling around in my head, potential novel/short story things. I either never get around to writing them or am too lazy to actually make the effort. But I think I'm interested in this one enough to pursue it, so this may be the intro or not. We'll see. But Irene will be the main character. I'm still considering whether I should make the narrator first or third person, but it'll be limited-omniscient. I won't give away the plot yet because it's still wayward and haphazard at best. Besides, I'm not the type to ruin stories. I'll probably post my progress, but I'll cut them off when they get long so you don't have to scroll forever to see other posts.

Vanessa and Tenneal, get your butts in gear and become LlamaBlog members, eh!

3 Comments:

Blogger tvpartytonight said...

I'm enjoying. Stick to third person, you're doing well with it.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

Arwen, you're so talented it just blows my mind. How did I not realize this before.
Damn you and your fluent hand

9:37 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

^
By that comment I mean.. before your blog.
Yo.

11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home