Scenic Route

Sunday, April 23, 2006

No one is immune.

He pensively looked through the rings and politely inquired whether we had other sizes of 'Carpe Diem'. 'Do you know what it means?' he asked the girl he was browsing with. She shook her head while popping ring after ring on and off, examining them by spreading her fingers as a girl would to look at her nails. 'It means seize the day.' There was something quiet about the way he contemplated the superman ring he rotated from finger to finger. 'It's an important saying to me.' He smiled, 'Interpreted into English it basically means get off your ass and do something with your life.' I had been looking for Carpe Diem among the various disorganized clusters of rings behind the counter in a casual manner prior to his explanation. Now I felt a new sense of purpose as I inspected the black foam panels for his object of affection. I found three more. One of the sizes fit his pinkie. He didn't end up buying it, but I situated the panel in a place where I could find it later. I felt empowered by his vision.

It was my first shift and I had already experienced a sliver of enlightenment. I knew what carpe diem meant before, but he had basically summed up the basis for all of my actions to this day.

I don't wear a mask for anyone. I'm Arwen whenever and wherever you see me. I strive to satisfy my deepest and utmost passions in life because I know materialism and physicality won't make me happy. Every waking moment of existence is spent on trying to lighten other's lives with my own. I want to make you happy. I want you to be proud to know me. I want to be proud to know myself.

Whatever you do, pursue what is most important to you. Seize the day.

4 Comments:

Blogger Elyse said...

Be proud. You more than anyone I can think of are yourself through and through. It's not often you come across people your type. As long as I can see your smile, (hell, even if i can't) I am happy and proud to know you. After the many humps and hugs and butt slaps I used to get, i think you know that you've affected my life, mentally and phsycially (my ass hasn't been the same since that one shift we worked together).

I saw you working on saturday. I think we even looked at each other... But i got distracted, and when I finally came into the store you were no where to be found...

9:19 PM  
Blogger Dingus said...

Lolol. I'll always think back on that day and laugh. Thank you so much, dear. You have no idea how much that means to me. I almost cried when I read it, in fact.

I'm going to miss you so fucking much next year. ...Can I cut off some of your hair and put it in a doll to cuddle with at night?!

6:48 PM  
Blogger Elyse said...

creepy... I love it!

3:36 PM  
Blogger Syxx said...

You lighten my life:)

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home