Scenic Route

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Our souls wear the same name tag.

"Look," he said. "Just a second," I said. The screen was filled with characters and our hands were filled with controllers. "Look up there," he said. "Just a second," I said. We were full of friendship and beer. The tickle-fights were second nature.

Days later we were sober and in his room again – "Look," he said.

I did. I saw a piece of paper the size of his palm. It was the picture of a flower I'd given him a year and a half ago. He explained that it'd been above his closet since I'd given it to him. I looked at him and remembered that summer day. I took a slice of paper into his backyard with a pencil nub and drew one of his mother's daisies. It was a spur of the moment scribble. I gave him a flower that'd never wilt and his room wore it like an award.

2 Comments:

Blogger Flakey Foont said...

This makes my girlish giggles come out. I liked it.

P.S.
My mother told me she had sent my letter to you but I found it on under the car seat. I don't know what she mailed or if she lied. Mothers can't lie, can they?
It's been weeks since Valentines went by buuuut I still have a valentine for you! I PROMISE!

9:36 PM  
Blogger Dingus said...

Valentines are fine to receive at any point in the year. I don't mind if it's late, in fact I handed them out without expecting any in return. You're lovely.

Sometimes mommies intend to do things and have so much on their mind that they believe they did some of the things that they didn't. It was probably misguided lying; I don't think she meant to.

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home