Scenic Route

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Ah, I understand now.

'Ever get a song stuck in your head because you sang it in a dream?

They say dreams are your subconscious trying to sort out your day-to-day problems. I'm not necessarily sorting them out but I'm starting to understand them better. Last night I turned my back on alcoholism. I walked through a city that was peculiarly similar to ours, but larger and with more overpasses and complicated routes. I hung out with people I didn't care for very much but the entire time spoke on the phone with people who mattered to me more. At one point I sang a song at the top of my lungs in an empty night-filled field. I woke up humming part of the chorus, 'where the hell are you when I need you'. I realized I was speaking to myself, and speaking through the minds of those who mattered most to me.

Yesterday I went into the attic. I didn't find any treasure. Later in the evening I was told next year I would, in this very city, and it'd be my friend who'd bestow it upon me. I should stop looking for hidden treasure and completely absorb myself in the gifts my friends subconsciously give me... all of the time.

Thank you, dear hearts, for everything you've done for me. I'm so glad to have you in my life. Although I'm sure most of us will keep in touch; keep in mind that no matter what happens I'll always remember and love you. I hope to God that you'll never feel like I'm leaving you behind, because I'm not. I'll always have your witty, amiable, complex self in my head and my heart. People in Oakville will look at me funny when I laugh aloud or grin widely to myself. I'll just flash them a double-set grin because it was you. It'll always, always be you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Elyse said...

I am going to miss you.

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home