Scenic Route

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

fam·i·ly

fam·i·ly Audio pronunciation of "Family" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fm-l, fml)
n. pl. fam·i·lies
1. A fundamental social group in society typically consisting of one or two parents and their children.
2. Two or more people who share goals and values, have long-term commitments to one another, and reside usually in the same dwelling place.


I miss his older brother, his younger sister, his older sister and her boyfriend, his mom and his dad. I remember the way his mom laughed and the type of jokes she'd make. I would visit her when he wasn't there, and she always treated me with such colloquial respect. She was very religious and superstitious and she had marvelous stories. She was an excellent person to be around. She didn't wear a façade for anyone, and she had a sense of humor that was very apparently her generation. I adored her.

I happily reminisce on the grandeur of his younger sister's sensitivity. She had a deep, tender knowledge that I drank like rich wine. Sometimes people wouldn't pay attention to her because of her ignorance, but she always had something nice to say about everyone, and she was able to see certain things about people that others wouldn't notice. Sometimes she would detect something incredibly subtle and the way she expressed her perspective floored me. Although she was younger than me, she was smarter in a lot of ways.

I can still feel how his older sister would take me into an embrace and how genuine her acceptance was. She would always engage me in witty conversation. I felt a connection with her; she was like my older sister, particularly when she'd patronize me. Other people might've been irritated by her jests but I savored every one. I enjoyed how her boyfriend would handle their two dogs, and the history I could taste in his accented sarcasm. I liked their relationship and how their cultures merged. It felt comfortable and right somehow.

I didn't know his dad well, but he was well traveled and the deep lines in his face told splendid stories of his excursions. He spoke to me of Africa, canned food, and Australia. I felt like I saw the places he knew through a dirty, bus window: bare glances of reality so raw and wild it made my skin crawl. I admired him as an individual, despite how little he saw his family.

I remember when his brother and I would have metaphysical conversations and how much I craved to discuss world religions with him after I completed my course in university. I honored his opinion and valued his perception of the world. Although I didn't always concur with his perspective (he could be pessimistic, sometimes), it helped enlighten me into another person's experience of life. I miss hanging out with him and our philosophical discussions.

I'm not sorry that I can't cultivate more memories with them. I understand and accept the fact that they'll be etchings in my history and be no more than that. But they are irreplaceable to me. Collectively, they wholly accepted me and I loved them in return. Once upon a time, I felt like I was part of their family and I'll be silently thanking them for that for a long time to come.

2 Comments:

Blogger Syxx said...

You've made me cry.
I want to be your warm lap. It's the only way that i know how to comfort.
Like a kitty.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Ash said...

you've officially made me miss my own family, and you! i shall be home this weekend, and hopefully we can get a chance to see eachother.. take care arwen, and best of luck in oakville!

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home