Scenic Route

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Light your own way

He is astride with ambition, intuition, a crook for a pistol and fine chiseled bristles. Passion to his craft leaves the girls alone in their stalls, pressing hard against the grain they try, try, try but he'll never accompany them. Straight back steady-handed callous-hard Grant; he rides his horse and herds his cattle, day'n night. Cheap cigarettes cusped between his thin-pressed lips, chords of flesh holding his eyes in a permanent squint... his hard angular body won't ride anyone but his horse. But he don't need nobody, and that's why every girl loved'm.

I love people. Sociologically, psychologically, just... everything about people: being with them, communicating with them, and befriending them. It all appeals to me. But there is one thing that I can't stand. That is how selfishly some people cultivate others. These sorts crave companionship. It won't just be for their sexual gratification, they want it because they need to depend on something. They need it because they can't find it within themselves.

One very, very important thing these people need to figure out someday is that the only person you can really, truly and forever depend upon is yourself - not your loving mother, adoring father, exceptional girlfriend, accepting boyfriend, and not your best friend. People are beautiful and good to have around. Relationships are awesome and necessary for your social betterment. But you can't expect anyone to solve your problems or always give you the right answers. No one will ever give you all the right answers so don't expect them to. It'll leave you empty and your sense of self will continue to elude you.

Never expect anyone to like you, want to be with you, or love you! Someone will, many will; but never expect it of them. Never expect other people to do the impossible for you. They can and and will but not because you want them to. Live your own fucking life, don't live anyone else's... and be happy with who you are because of who you are, not because of anyone else.

'You are the only light there is for yourself my friend.' -Gogol Bordello

2 Comments:

Blogger Nathan Hursh said...

For lots of years I struggled with my own sense of self and I was constantly depending on others. Than one day I decided that I didn't want others or the things that they did so I sucluded myself from all society to search for my self. Luckily I found him, but unluckily sometimes he dcides to hide, so I feel empty like I used to at times.

12:26 AM  
Blogger Dingus said...

Everyone struggles with individuality, it's 'how' you choose to struggle with it that matters. Some people live their entire lives without attempting to find it: using others to supplicate their indeterminable selves until their physical exterior wastes away. I admire the way you're dealing with it. Others can help shape us, but they don't 'make' us. :)

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home