Scenic Route

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Hail

I crossed the street. On the other end a pidgeon floundered beside the curb, too injured to pull itself out of the way. Cars avoided it. A cluster of people were nearby, staring in a slack-jawed stupor. Many wore a mournful look.

I crossed the street. I had a rapid and incredible impulse to bring my foot high up and slam it down on the pidgeon's head. I almost did. Instead, I walked straight past. I barely looked at the bird everyone was so preoccupied with and I pushed the button on the post to cross the street again...

2 Comments:

Blogger Elyse said...

life speaks to us in different ways.
:(
:)

7:33 PM  
Blogger Flakey Foont said...

Arwen,
Your writing, as corny as it sounds, speaks to me in ways that are so familiar. Not only this, but it goes beyond my capacity to imagine which reminds me of lots of lots of angles. I don't think I'm making sense. You're amazing in other words.

1:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home