Scenic Route

Sunday, October 16, 2005

My Thanksgiving

I walked downstairs. The aromatic smell of spicy, pumpkin soup aroused my senses and despite the fact that I wasn't especially hungry, I felt my salivary glands water. As I scooped the savory soup into a bowl, I counted my blessings tonight.

I learned at a young age what it means to appreciate what you have and not push those you love to give you everything that you want. As I grew up, my family's financial situation got better, which made me appreciate even further how that lesson has helped and continues to help me understand how lucky I am to have more than I need to survive. I am lucky to have a loving mother and brother who both support me in everyway. I have more than enough food to be satisfied, more than enough clothes, books, and toys. I have plenty of supplies to generate the fuel of my artistic fire. I have a boyfriend who loves me as I love him. Through him I've gotten close to his family, and formed such a bond with them as I've never formed with any of my friend's families ever in my life. I'm as close to his family - if not closer - then I have been with some of the best friends I've had in previous years. It's an amazing feeling to know how interconnected I am and how valued they are to me.

Because of the financial backbone of my family and the psychological support they've given me, I've been able to carry my education into post-secondary and attend the University of Saskatchewan. I'm a strong person because of the way my mother has raised me. I believe I can achieve brilliant heights because she's shown me what it's like to be an independent and strong-willed person. I'm not a passive woman of society, but an active member who is equal and not antagonized because of her societal status.

I'm thankful because I am who I am. I'm glad I grew up in a healthy family with high moral standards. I'm happy that I'm able to develop as a young adult with my perception of the world as it is. I've had good, solid friendships and the discretion to understand who to trust and open up to. I've been blessed with talent and a wonderful life thus far. I'm lucky to be alive. I'm lucky that I know you, and that you're able to read this written from my literate hand right now.

Oh God, thank you for everything. I'm blessed in everyway.

1 Comments:

Blogger Civil Whisper said...

WTF is pumpkin soup??

I should be more thankful. Today I'm not. I went grocery shopping.

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home